See & Sew Pattern B5596 - Triathlon Tote Bag

If you've been following this blog for a while (which is probably like one person), then you have seen my Doctor Who Tote Bag post and my T-Shirt Quilt series. Well, this is a scrap-busting mash-up of a post using the See & Sew Pattern B5596 from the Doctor Who tote and the backing fabric scraps from the quilt.

I had a lot of pre-lined fabric left from the t-shirt quilt. And I love my Doctor Who tote bag.  I use it everyday for work. 

The tote bag itself was a tedious bit of work to put together to make the chevron, however, I like the size of the tote.  It is just a nice bag. So I opted instead to just sew together a bunch of leftover scraps from the quilt to make pieces that were big enough for the tote instead of making tedious chevrons.

The finished tote bag with the pattern laying on top of it.

 So it's not a really pretty bag. But it will make a great carry case for the quilt itself (which I made for outdoor use). You'll notice that there's a lot of the swim fabric left with a touch of the running fabric to break up the blue. I used a little of the superhero fabric as well to add a bit of a POW factor.


Biking fabric was used as the lining.

I used the bike fabric to make a pocket on the outside of the bag and to break up all that blue. I also had enough leftover that the bag's lining is all biking!

Another view of the finished bag with the pocket side up.

Overall, I'm pleased with how it came out. It was a great way to use up a bunch of leftover scraps and to make something useful.  I like the pattern so much better when I don't have to make a bunch of chevrons for it! It just came together so much faster. I will likely use this one again.

Comments