Nyssa Dress for New Year's Eve

Earlier this year, I came across the Nyssa Dress, a free pattern offered by Mood Sewciety. (Seriously, they have some amazing patterns - all of them are free!)  Anyway, I knew I just had to make the dress.

First, I had to find the perfect fabric that also didn't cost a lot since I was not sure if I would like this pattern or not. My fabric pick ended up being $3 a yard of some really nice-feeling fabric from G Street Fabrics. They have a great scrap room where all the fabrics are $3 a yard, so there are great finds there.

Taking a mirror selfie in a wrap dress with large gray flowers on it.


I love this dress, but there are a couple of changes I would make if I were to do this again.  First, wrap dresses are challenging to wear - one has to figure out how to put the ties so that there are no wardrobe malfunctions. As if that wasn't enough, assembling a wrap dress was a bit of a puzzle! I had to check the placement of the ties and the hole about 10 times to confirm they were where I wanted them to to be! In the future, I'd probably have some internal ties or loops for securing the dress and just use a belt around the waist. I think it would also help to break up the pattern, which seems a bit busy to me.

The ties are inside out and have serged edges.

If I opted to keep the ties as-is, then I would make one much longer than the other. The pattern calls for them to be the same, which means that after wrapping around my body, there just wasn't enough length to do a bow at the side. So I have to tie it at the back. No biggie, but the side bow is super cute.

The back of the dress showing the bow tied in the back.

Finally, I had to cut off a few inches from the bottom of the dress to accommodate my short stature. I think it could still go an inch shorter, but it's a long hem, and I did not want to sew it for a third time! For now, it works. And it will be a cute outfit for my New Years Eve dinner!

Comments