Janet Cosplay Part II - The Janet from Mood Sewciety

Welcome back for Janet Cosplay Part II, where I discuss the making of the vest and skirt. If you haven't seen Part I, check here to see the blouse. I ordered the suggested fabric for the skirt and vest from Mood. The pattern I used for the vest was this freebie from the Mood Sewciety blog, and I sorta did a circle skirt for the skirt.

The Onella Blouse (from a previous post) and the Janet Cosplay skirt.
The Onella blouse (previous post) and The Janet Cosplay skirt.
I wanted pockets so I used a half-circle measurement but cut it into three pieces. Two pieces were used to create the back seam with a zipper closure. Then the pockets were sewn into the side seams. Thus, I ended up with something between a half- and a quarter-skirt. This was my first circle skirt with pockets, so I looked around for resources on how to approach it. This blog was the most help.

Assembling the vest pieces
Assembling the vest pieces

The vest pattern was pretty straightforward with a few steps that needed to be figured out.  First, the directions state to Begin sewing your vest by adding your darts, making sure to follow the guidelines on your pattern. The dart lines are found only on the back piece in a diamond shape. There are dotted lines on the front that appear like darts, but those are the lapel guides. Don't sew them together as I did! Hopefully I can save you a little extra seam ripping with this tip.

The Janet Cosplay vest and Onella Blouse
The finished vest and blouse. It's not so flattering on my dress form.
The next tricky spot in the directions was to add welt pockets. I had never made welt pockets before so I had to review more resources and watch some how-to videos to test it out. The tutorial linked to in the blog was the guide I ultimately followed. There aren't guides for how big the welt pocket should be. I made the interfacing piece about one inch narrower on each side. I wish I'd done 1/2" as I would have liked the pocket to be just a tad wider.

Purple rectangle fabric with a smaller black patch of interfacing leaving 1/2" all around.
This shows how I should have done the interfacing for the welt pocket.


I hope these tips help you if you choose to make your own Janet cosplay!

Chris outside in her cosplay. Shirt and vest shown.
Me in my cosplay!





Comments