Janet Cosplay Part I - The Onella Blouse from Mood Sewciety

When I saw this cosplay outfit come up on the Mood Sewciety blog, I knew I could not resist it. I love the television show, The Good Place, and Janet's outfit seemed straightforward enough to make in time for New York Comic Con. So off I went to the Mood website to order some fabric, and away I went! 


The finished blouse with cloud design. The blouse is on a dressform.


First up, was this beautiful blouse - The Onella Blouse. I'm in love with this polyester crepe. I know it doesn't sound appealing, but this fabric is so silky. I love the feel of it.

I also really love the finished blouse. Although I made it for my measurements, I could have sized down at least one, probably two, sizes on the pattern. The shirt is huge! I took it in a little after NYCC, and it is still a little on the large size.

Now, let's get into the actual construction. It should be noted that the only instructions for making the shirt are what's posted on the blog. You have to put in your email address and they will send you the link to download the pattern, which you have to assemble and cut out. (I do wish there was an A0 option, but then I got this one free, so I can't complain too much.)

The side and back of the blouse on the dressform.


Despite this, the first few steps - darts, plackets, and attaching front and back panels was pretty straightforward. When it came to connecting the panels, the blogger, Courtney, recommended using French seams. Well, I had never done that before, so I went off to YouTube and found this video, which was super helpful and easy to follow. And made my French seams, which were beautiful (and of course, I have no pictures of them.

Next up were sleeves. Again, they were pretty easy to make and insert (I have experience doing this, if you are a beginner, it may not be so simple). Courtney mentioned using bias tape to clean up that seam. I just used my serger.

The necktie pieces were a little trickier to add, and I could have done with more pictures here. Of course, when I was wrestling with it myself, I didn't think to take any pictures to add to the Mood Sewciety page. What I can say is that the pattern has a notch for the necktie, and that lines up with the top end of the placket.

The finished shirt and a purple skirt on a dressform.


Once I got the necktie lined up, it was not so bad to just follow the directions as written. And although buttons are not the bane of my existence like zippers, I still had a heck of a time adding the buttons. I think it was my machine being a little too cranky.

Overall, I love this shirt, and I will wear it. I'm pondering buying more of that amazing fabric so I can remake it to be more fitted. And I will reduce the size of the necktie - it's a bit big for this not so well-endowed gal.

Stay tuned to learn about making the rest of the cosplay!

Comments