T Shirt Quilt Part II: The backing

In Part I of the T-Shirt Quilt series, I left off with sashing.  It was attached, and there was a dog sitting on it. So, once the front part of the quilt was assembled, I needed to consider what backing to use. I was hoping to find triathlon fabric, but I did not see anything I liked, even over at Spoonflower. I'm not graphically inclined, so designing my own fabric was out of the question. Eventually, I settled on using three different fabrics: a swim, a bike, and a run.

Image of the three backing fabrics from left to right: swim, bike, run. 

 I found the swim fabric at Joann fabrics. In the picture above, it is the fabric on the left. As you can see, it is only a white female swimmer, so not very diverse. It was the only swim fabric I could find that even remotely appealed to me, so I went with it.

I found the bike fabric (in the middle) at a local fabric store, although I think it can also be ordered from Spoonflower. The bikers are much more diverse than the swimmers are with representation of various skin colors. The bikers look more male than female to me, but I guess they could be gender neutral. This was the thickest of the three fabrics and was the most difficult to work with.

Finally, the fabric on the right is the running fabric. There were plenty of designs for running, but none of them spoke to me. I also didn't want to have so much gray on one side of the backing, but in the end, I think the back looks great and the fabrics work fine together.

Dog sleeping on the running fabric.
Doggo testing out the backing fabric. 

Comments