Between Projects: The Sewing Summit

Last November, I attended an online, 5-day sewing summit hosted by Rebecca Page.  I didn't know what to expect, but since it was free, I figured it was worth attending. If I found something really valuable, then I could purchase the lifetime access pass.

Everyday of the summit, I was sent a link that would be live for 24 hours. Each link took me to the sessions for the day. Sessions were a nice mix of theory, practice, and demos. I found myself taking copious notes and finding new companies to follow and support, which I did not expect.

The quality of the videos was variable, but trended positive. I would have liked to see real captions instead of autocaptions (they were terrible for some videos), and I would have loved an option to control video speed. For skimming purposes, I like to watch on 2X speed. Then I can watch slower when I really want to pay attention. I tried to watch all of the videos at least a little but it was hard to do when I had this thing called work getting in the way.

Of what I saw, only one video was a complete dud. It was just someone's personal baggage and very self-serving. Nothing useful in it whatsoever. However, I found a few gems that I absolutely loved. Specifically:
  • “Custom Fit Adjustments – Make Your Clothing Fit Better Than RTW” – Jessica Hooley from DIBY Club
  • “Getting the Perfect Neckband on V-Neck Knit Shirts” – Erin Herring from HallĂ„ Patterns
  • “Sewing 101 – How To Get Started” – Marina Brumpton from Frocks & Frolics
  • “How to sew knickers/undies (with a free girls pattern)” – Liz Elliott from Thread Faction Studio
I highly recommend checking out the Sewing Summit page whether you are a new or experienced sewist. The lifetime pass is totally worth it. 

Comments