Pencil Case - Rebecca Page Scrapbuster!

I found a new pattern site where I just love the designs. As always, I like to test the waters with a freebie pattern to see how easy it is to follow along before I commit to buying patterns. I have to say that Rebecca Page's Pencil Case pattern was quite easy to follow along and complete. And it was a great way to use up some scraps I had lying around.

It took me a couple sewing sessions (I do a couple hours at a time, max) to finish this. Mostly because I had to iron my scraps before I could cut them out, and I did go ahead and reinforce with interfacing. Oh and there was that one mishap with my machine that resulted in time with the seam ripper.

Interior view of the pencil case with five different Doctor Who fabrics. There's a zipper pouch, pencil holders, and a flat storage area.
Interior view of the pencil case. I may have had some Doctor Who fabric handy. 

The pattern pieces were all rectangular, so pretty straightforward to cut out. I also used this opportunity to scrapbust my interfacing stock, so yay. Size-wise this is just a wee bit too big for my Bullet Journal, but I am going to test it out for a bit and see what I think.

Pencil case is closed with a button enclosure. Outer fabric is multi-colored Daleks.

In the making of this case, I had to sew both a buttonhole and a zipper. This is normally not my idea of fun, but hey, I'm down for learning new things.  Well, let me say that this is the easiest I have ever had a zipper attach. There was absolutely zero seam ripping here! It was glorious!

For the buttonhole and button, I learned that my Heavy Duty Singer machine makes really short work of buttonholes. As in, one step. Once I set up the controls, it just created the right-size hole like magic. Well, I'll be doing more buttonholes now, for sure.  It also attached the button for me. I think my placement of the buttonhole allows for too much wiggle room with the pencil case. I'll live with it for a bit and see how it works out though.

I even made my own bias tape. Really upping my game here, folks. 

Another interior shot (with 5 Doctor Who fabrics). This time, there are five pes in the pencil holder, a piece of paper in the flat pocket area, and a highlighter, chapstick, and lotion sticking out of the zipper pocket.
Time to get her loaded!

Overall, the pattern was very easy to follow, despite my one issue with visualizing how the zipper pouch attached. Once I realized I was sewing in the middle of the lining, everything clicked!  (I realized this when I pulled up the full color version of the directions. It was clearly marked.)  

If I remake this one with or without modifications, I must pay attention to the pattern placement of the interior items. On mine, the zipper fabrics (Doctors and TARDISes) faced one way whereas the Exploding Tardis pencil holder is facing the other way. I didn't realize it until it was too late!

Oh well - that's part of the charm, I guess.


Comments