Set Sail Hat - Patterns for Pirates

Hubby and I just returned from a fabulous trip to Singapore and Bali. As these are both incredibly hot places near the equator - or nearer than me - I decided I needed to have a hat to cover my head and protect my face and neck as much as possible.

I saw all the posts in the Patterns for Pirates facebook group with folks making the Set Sail Hat (it's a free pattern!), and I decided this would be a great way to use up some of my woven fabrics. I was so right!

Chris in her hat against a lush green background and a gray-blue sky
This was on the Campuhan Ridge trail in Ubud, Bali. 


First, I had to choose my fabrics, and I opted for two of my Doctor Who fabrics to make the hat. I thought the exploding TARDIS would be the outer view, but honestly, I love the filigree one so much more.

Chris in the hat, showing the exploding TARDIS inside. Background is a totem pole and sky.
This photo was captured as we walked from the Cloud Forest to Satay by the Bay in Singapore.


This hat came together in just three hours - that includes cutting out pattern, cutting out fabric, and putting it all together.  It was super quick!

Chris & Bill pose on a wooden bridge with a lush green background. They both have hats on.
This was taken at the Henderson Waves in Singapore. You can see the little hole on the side of my hat - that's the grommet!
As a bonus, I decided to add in a grommet so I can clip the hat to my bag for easy carrying.  I have a grommet kit from other projects, so I dug it out and in 2 minutes, I had my perfect hat for vacation!

Close up of the TARDIS filigree side of the hat displaying the grommet.
Up close with the grommet


I think I need to make one with a 7" brim now!


Comments