Steampunk Dalek Cosplay - Part IV - Accessories!

This is the fourth post in a series on the making of my first Doctor Who Cosplay (see here, here, and here for more).  This post will be all about the accessories!  Specifically, I made two accessories for this cosplay: a necklace and the hat!

Initially, I tried to make just a pendant on a leather strip, but I could not get it to look good. There was too much glue showing, and I wasn't confident in the strength of the glue. So I ended up using my jewelry-making supplies to connect the gears to make a full necklace. I love the final look so much more (although my husband needs to learn to take a flattering picture of me. Oy!).



A close up of an early attempt at making the necklace. Me from the waist up wearing the dalek top, the final necklace, and the final hat.
Next up was the hat! You may have noticed that up till now, I have not addressed the giant plunger, the egg beater, or the big giant eye sticking out of the Dalek.  Well, I was not going to carry around a plunger or egg beater, so this dress was more about the inspiration. Folks stopped me and knew what I was dressed as. As far as I'm concerned, that's a win!

So the giant eye. I used my gears, some feathers, and some leftover fabric to make this beautiful steampunk hat!  I attached hair clips to the underside so they would stay on. 

Pro tip: You cannot take the hat on and off during the day. The clips pull out hair annd make a giant mess! The hat also does not stay as well after it has been put back on the head. 

A close-up of the side of the hat. The gears are pinned on, the feathers are in, and the bow is coming off the back. The whole thing is balanced on a pin cushion.

My husband wanted me to have a Dalek eye with a working light and all. So we attached a straw to the hat. Scratch that, he drilled a hole in my hat and attached the straw. And a battery pack. 

A side view of me wearing the hat. The straw is attached and sticking out the front.

So I had a working Dalek eye!

Me from the waist up wearing the dress top and the hat. There is a red light emanating from the Dalek eye.


Comments