Prom Dress Upcycle

I know. I know. I promised you more Steampunk Dalek.  But it's prom season, so it only feels appropriate to break in to the series and share my prom dress upcycle!

I recently attended the employee prom at work, and it was a phenomenal time. Our theme was "Enchantment Under the Sea." As nerds, there was no other option except to have a Kraken centerpiece on each table.

Table centerpiece with plushy Kraken, candles, a ship in a bottle, shells, annd treasure chests. They are sitting on netting.
The Kraken takes over the table!

I digress.  I had the perfect dress for the occasion. I bought it in 2010 for $17 from a wedding shop, and it's been sitting in my closet since. 

Dress is on a dress form. Sleeveless, red sequined top and lots of red layers flaring out from the waist to the floor.
The dress before alterations

The problem? I'm bigger than I was in 2010. The dress needed some alterations if it was going to fit.

The back of the dress does not close on the dress form. It's being held on with binder clips.

I decided to take out the zipper and put in some lacing down the back.  This was my first time hacking a dress so fancy, so I was a bit nervous.  Turns out not so bad to seam rip the zipper out.  The challenge was getting the lacing in.  I bought two different styles of loops and lots of ribbon.  My first attempt looked pretty good.

Close up of the original, black lacing. It is loosely laced most of the way down.

The problem was that when I tried to get the dress off the dress form, it popped some of the loops. And the loops were all connected, so when one popped, they all popped. I didn't discover this last bit until the morning of prom!  So I had to do some frantic last-minute alterations (of which I do not have pictures). I was not happy with them, but the dress stayed on and looked great from the front!

I'm wearing the red dress and standing in front of a giant sunken ship with lights and balloons.






Comments