Simplicity 1614 - Shirt with Doctor Who fabric

You are likely noticing a theme by this point. I love Doctor Who! So much so that when Joann Fabrics came out with their Doctor Who line, I bought some of each.

Picture of various Doctor Who fabrics fanned out.

It's not my only Doctor Who fabric, but I digress.  The point is that I had this fabric lying around just begging to be used.  But I didn't have a pattern.  Enter my friend, Meghan, who was getting rid of some of her pattern stash and offered me some. Of course, I said sure, and among the patterns was Simplicity 1614.  It looked pretty straightforward, and I had everything except for the bias tape.  Hooray!

Picture of the pattern for Simplicity 1614

I opted to make View B, which has that cute back detail.  There wasn't anything too crazy complicated about making the shirt.  The top section was sewn to the bottom section in the front, and the back has a seam down the middle.

Side view of sleeveless shirt with Tardis on top and dark blue on the bottom.

The side seams were then sewn together.  Simple, there's the shirt!  To finish all the edges along the neck and armholes, it's just bias tape.  Which I had a really hard time matching to this blue.

Back view of sleeveless shirt with V-shape top and Tardis strap across the V.

The tricky part of putting the bias tape on is that you also need to add the strap on the back.  It took some finagling, but I did manage to get it set in properly, and it's super cute!  You can also see in the picture above that the bias tape doesn't match the fabric exactly. 

Direct view of sleeveless shirt with Tardis on top and dark blue on the bottom.

I'm not too bothered by it though, because this shirt is super cute and comfy!  One issue I've had is that the thin bias tape hasn't stayed on the fabric well.  I'm actually in the process of re-sewing the armholes because the bias tape came off.  When I make this again, I'll probably do a wider tape.  I also plan to downsize a bit because this shirt is so roomy on me.

Overall though, it's a fun shirt that Whovians recognize immediately. I do plan to make this pattern again, maybe even one of the other views!

Comments