Butterick B4885 - Doggie Coat: Part II

Remember this post about the doggie coats I made 5 years ago?  Well, let's see what I've learned in five years.

Enter dog #3, Buster!  In 2016, we adopted a new dog, and of course, he needed a coat! So what did I do but pull out my trusty pattern and start all over again.

Buster looking at the camera while wearing his coat.

This houndstooth fabric with black fleece is the exact same fabric I used for the first doggie coat that I made, which you may recall was too big for my pups.  Buster is a whopping 23 pounds compared to the 11 and 12 pound pups I first made the coats for.  I needed to size up, but remember how I said that if you plan to reuse a pattern, you should trace it out first?  Yeah, this is why.

A close-up view of Buster's coat.  The planet applique is clearly visible.

No worries. I managed to trace the pattern pieces and size them up fairly well.  The coat isn't a perfect fit for Buster, but it is okay.  So you can see that I managed to sew the belly strap on facing the right direction this time! #win

A view of Buster looking to the left while laying down in his coat.


As with the previous coats I made, I skipped the pockets and used appliques instead.  I like the look better.  Once I finished the coat, I had to add more velcro to the chest and belly straps to fix the gaps.  You can see in the picture that there's a pretty big gap near Buster's elbow.  I also had to tack down the collar because it kept flying up, and an upturned collar wasn't the look we were going for.

A view of Buster's coat from above with a planet and a rocket applique.

Now, I just need to remember how to make a buttonhole again so I can have a place to pull Buster's harness through.  He's energetic on walks, so I would not trust the coat to be sturdy enough against his pulling.  

Buster facing to the right while wearing his coat.


Comments