Dalmation Skirt - Disney Half Marathon Part II

As promised, here's the second part of my costume for the Disney Half Marathon I ran in 2015.  The vest post shares the first part.  For the skirt, I did not use a pattern!



Since this was a costume made pretty last minute, it isn't pretty or high-quality.  But, like the vest, it was simple to make, comfortable, and made the outfit recognizable.

My process was pretty basic: cut one red rectangle and one spotted rectangle.  Both were bigger than my measurements since I was planning to add elastic anyway.

You can see that there are strings coming off the bottom of the skirt. So well made, this!

I hemmed the bottom piece, connected the red and spotted fabrics, and made a casing for the elastic.  Then, my favorite part of all this is that after I put the elastic in the casing, I just sewed it all up!  Yup, I just sewed up the elastic instead of leaving it as a cotinuous band.

Yep, the picture's upside down. And this was made before I got a serger! 

That's literally all there was to making the skirt.  I didn't have a serger at the time, so my seams look terrible.  But whatevs, the skirt made it all the way through my race and is still in one piece! 


A view from the backside. It looks like shorts, but it's not.  It's just where I connected the seam.  You can also see that I had to cut the spotted fabric up to the selvege because I was running low.  So, it's not a pretty backside.  Sometimes I'm amazed that things I make hold together.

Comments