Simplicity 1780 View D - Vest - Disney Half Marathon Part I

This vest is part of a costume I used for the Disney Running Festival in Walt Disney World.  Lots of people cosplay and take all the pictures, so of course I had to do it too.  I ran the half marathon on a super cold day. I think it was around 30 degrees when we started!

Anyway, I decided to go as Cruella de Ville from 101 Dalmatians.  Since I had to run 13.1 miles in this, it had to be light, comfortable, not require me to hold anything, or wear anything on my head.  So essentially - not interfere with my running gear.  I opted for this vest because I could use faux fur trim to symbolize dogs, and the spotted fabric to be dalmatian-like.

This was taken pre-race.  It was way too cold to not have my long-sleeve, bright pink shirt on!  Even then, it was still super cold!


I also made the skirt, but I didn't use a pattern for it, and I'll get to that in a different post. You'll see more of it here though, too.  Both the vest and the skirt went over my regular running gear, because I am not yet confident that I can sew clothes that won't chafe.



The vest was the same style as the brown one in the picture above, and it was really easy to make and was perfectly comfortable for the whole race.




The vest has a red lining and a white fake fur trim.  I have no idea how I managed it, but the red fabric was a knit but the dog pattern was woven.


Since I made this just a short time before the race, I didn't bother to mak sure that things lined up or laid flat.



Overall though, it was just what I needed.  Easy to make, recognizeable by others, and non-chafing!

Comments