Between Projects: Putting the Dress Form on Wheels

Between Projects will be a new feature where I share something not related to a specific project but that might still be of interest to readers.

This post will share how I sorta solved a problem I've been having.  I have a dress form, which I love and use all the time.  The problem is that in order to move it, I have to be careful and lift only from the bottom pole. This makes for awkward body positioning, especially if I have something on the form (which I usually do).  I don't have a huge space for sewing so the dress form is moved quite frequently.

A side view of the dress form on wheels


BTW - does anyone else get freaked out at walking in on their dress form in the dark?  No, just me? Okay then.

I thought it might be easier if the dress form were on wheels, so I looked at other options.  Very few dress forms come with wheelie options, and they weren't cheap.  So I thought that I could perhaps buy my own set of wheels and figure out how to attach them to the dress form. 

A search of Amazon found this, and it seemed like it might work.  I measured the distance between the feet of the dress form, and it seemed like this dolly would be the right size.  If not, I could put a thin piece of wood on top.

A corner of the dolly is shown with the foot of the dress form perfectly sitting on the corner.
The dress form fits perfectly on the dolly!

The dolly arrived and was simple to assemble, and my dress form fits perfectly on it.  Problem solved!

Comments