McCall's Crafts M5778 - Stockings

In my early days of sewing, I thought I could wing it and be successful.  I was so so wrong.  I've since learned that I do best by starting with a pattern and modifying from there.  

My first attempt at stockings was fully designed by me, and they were very lame.  As it was my husband, my dog, and me, it was no big deal to have these little oddly-shaped stockings.

Where's the toe?

When we added a second dog to the family, I decided I wanted to do it up right, so I purchased the McCall's Crafts M5778 pattern.  The stockings were in the proportion and general style that I wanted to make.  They were also fully lined!



They still weren't exactly as I wanted - I'm not into big bows or sewing on a lot of buttons.  So, I made View D sans buttons.  I bought four different fabrics that were generally nice.  I enjoyed working with all of them except for this red with the glitter-glued snowflakes.  It is just not a pleasant fabric to touch.


I don't recall much about actually sewing these, but this is from my early days of sewing.  Therefore, you can tell from the shapes that the pattern is reasonably straightforward because these look like actual stockings with toes.


If I can do it, I think anyone can!  And they look so nice on the mantel!

Yep, we have a hanging snowman in the middle.  It's more about having symmetry and not having another good place to hang the little guy.

So, no real helpful advice here, but I hope you have a great holiday season!


Comments