Butterick #3758 - Misses Dress & Jacket

This is an unlined dress that I started long ago and is one of the first items I ever sewed.  There was so much I learned on this project, and it took me years to finish.  In fact, I finished the jacket first, and it fit really well, but...

Lesson #1: Fabrics that are directional are really obvious when you cut them sideways.

I could never wear it (and I no longer own it) because I cut one of the front panels against the grain.  It was really, really obvious when I put it on.  So bummer to lose all that work.

But the dress.  Oh the dress!



This is the dress on its own.  The fabric isn't my favorite, but I love the dress so much I'm going to make another one in fabric I like better.  So stay tuned for a redux post of this pattern!

Anyway, this was my first time doing lots of things:
  • darts
  • zipper
  • interfacing
  • understitching
  • hemming
So there are lots of lessons learned here.  

Lesson #2: Darts aren't that hard to do.  They aren't even all that tedious - once you figure them out.  And they make a huge difference in the final look.

Lesson #3: Zippers are my nemesis.  I've taken classes, I use a zipper foot, I move really slow. It doesn't matter, zippers installed by me, and this is no exception, look bad.  I'm working on it!

Despite the not-so-beautiful appearance of the zipper in the back, a little styling goes a long way here.  In fact, I got a lot of compliments on my outfit that day at work, and now everyone assumes I make all my clothes!


Lesson #4: Facing was a whole new world! I had no idea there was so much involved in dressmaking.  And understitching has kept the facing down since I finished this dress a couple years ago.

Overall, I really love this style. When I make this again, I will choose a fabric that feels better to the touch (this is rough) and add a couple inches to the length.  I may even attempt the jacket again!



Comments