Christmas Tree Skirt Extender

What better way to start off this blog than to talk about one of my very first sewing projects, and to-date my only project to be entirely designed by me!  Since this project was done in 2014, I do not have any pictures of the skirt in progress, so I'll try to give as detailed an explanation as I do have.

About three years ago, I grew tired of having to fight with my tree skirt to cover the tree base and floor protector (aka cardboard).  I really love the skirt, so I did not want to buy a new one.  Instead, I thought I could create an extension to sit underneath the skirt and give the added length. You can see the final product in this picture.  The red is the original tree skirt - velvet on top and satin underneath so too luxurious to replace!  The green is the extender.



The first thing I had to do when designing this skirt was to determine how far out I wanted the green part to extend.  I opted for about 18" to give myself plenty of room.


Then I created my pattern piece.  Basically, I took a large piece of butcher paper and traced one panel of the red skirt extender.  I then extended the lines out another 19" (adding in 1/2" seam allowance on both sides).  Since I was using green velvet and silver satin for the extender, the fabric was not cheap.  Thus, I did not want to use it for the entire area since it mostly would not be seen.  This is the extender on its own:


I purchased tulle to be the center part of the circle since it would not be seen.  

Lesson #1: This was a bit of a mistake, since tulle is a weak fabric that easily rips.  I should have used a muslin or cheap cotton.  

I also made sure to mark on the pattern a couple inches shorter than the red panel to allow for some overlap between the red and the green; I didn't want any tulle showing through!  So then I created two pattern pieces from this one: an upper part for the tulle and a lower part for the good stuff.

I sewed the silver lining together into a circle, the green velvet into a circle, and the tulle into a circle.  I didn't sew them completely into a circle.  I needed an opening so I could put the skirt around the tree.  If you look at the left side of the above picture, you can see where I used the velvet as trim along the opening.

Next, I sewed the lining and the fabric together along the outer edges.  Finally, I folded in the seam allowance on the lining and the fabric along the inner edges and inserted the tulle in between.  Then I top stitched it all together.

Voila!  A finished tree skirt!  And while I love it, I will probably do one more step on it this year.

Lesson #2: Attach the overskirt to the underskirt so that they don't move and show the tulle underneath.








Comments